Nigerian singer, record producer, and songwriter, David Adeleke popularly known as Davido finally drops his highly anticipated third studio album titled “A Better Time”.
The American-born Nigerian superstar, Davido signed to Sony Music released his third studio album and his second album after signing his major deal with Sony Music and RCA records in 2016. Davido who rose to fame following the success of his “Dami Duro” single released in 2012, joins the list of Nigerians who dished out projects in 2020. The year has already received projects from Wizkid, Burna Boy, Olamide, Tiwa Savage and so many other Nigerian artistes.
On November 13, 2020, Davido’s DMW and Sony Music premiered the 17-track album from the Nigerian afrobeat star. The album featured six Americans (Nicki Minaj, Lil Baby, Nas, HitBoy, Chris Brown and Young Thug), one Ghanaian (Mugeez), one South African (Sho Madjozi), one Kenyan Afropop band (Sauti Sol), and four Nigerians (Mayorkun, Tiwa Savage, Bella Shmurda and Ckay). Production credits went to Kiddominant, Napji, Fresh VDM, Speroach, Blaise Beatz, Lord Sky, and other talented music producers.
Here is our honest review of the album
- In the first track “On My Way” featuring Kenyan Afropop band, Sauti Sol, Davido tries to make something out of the slow-paced produced by Lord Sky. I personally couldn’t connect to this track. I felt like something was missing in this track. It’s sure one of the weakest tracks on this album.
- Davido employs the services of two American rappers, Nas and HitBoy in a new tune titled “Birthday Cake”. To me, this collaboration lacked a whole lot. It appeared as if it was a forced collaboration with little or no chemistry between these acts in the studio.
- With a touch of South African afro-house sound, Blaise Beatz offers Davido and Ckay a banging tune. “La La” is indeed a banger! Davido has got another club banger in ‘La La’.
- Ghanaian singer Mugeez and half of the popular music duo, R2bees renders an epic performance on “Mebe” off the ‘A Better Time’ album by Davido. It is a groovy tune with so many vocal melodies from Davido and Mugeez.
- Davido links with super talented producer Napji in “Sunlight”. Though sounding like a typical Davido vibe, “Sunlight” is an emotional tune.
- “Very Special” is a solo-performed song on the ABT album. On first listening, I felt it was totally weak but thereafter I realized Davido got somethings right on this one.
- “Heaven” is a banger! I literally needed only the first fifteen seconds of this song to know it’s one of the hit tracks on this album. Looking for a club banger? This is one!
- We could be having so many hit tracks on this album. It’s obvious the next tune “Something Fishy” is another hit song.
- At first “Jowo” sounded like an old Davido song until I was drawn back to the fact it’s on his recent album. This could be a song recorded some years back. It is a classic tune with mind-blowing melodies regardless.
- Davido teams up with emerging singer, Bella Shmurda in this danceable tune produced by Speroach tagged “Fade”.
- In “Tanana” , Davido employs the services of afrobeat goddess Tiwa Savage in the Kiddominant produced beat.
- “The Best” is a danceable tune by Davido and his act, Mayorkun produced by Fresh VDM. It felt weak even after listening to it more than once.
- The next track is sure one of the international features that really bangs. Lil Baby and Davido “So Crazy” is hot. The sing along hook and chorus lines made this track even more magical.
- “Shopping Spree” by Davido, Chris Brown, and Young Thug could have been better. A song with two famous American artistes should have done better but that notwithstanding, it’s an adorable tune.
- Davido, Nicki Minaj and Speroach gave us a banging tune in “Holy Ground”. I’m sure this will be the biggest track on this album irrespective of all its flaws.
- On a South African flavoured tune produced by Fresh VDM, Davido links up with Mayorkun and South African sensational singer Sho Madjozi in “I Got A Friend”.
- “FEM” is the first single from this project. The street slang that connotes to ‘Shut Up’ was already a hit song before the album dropped. Napji and Davido made magic here.
Lyrics – 4/5
Production – 4/5
Performance – 4/5
AVERAGE RATING – 4/5
CHECK OUT >> Davido “A BETTER TIME” [FULL ALBUM]